12 October 2008

Katie and cookies

I finished my sister Katie's afghan just the other day. I spent most of the afternoon and evening putting the scallopped edge on it, then it took me over an hour to weave the ribbon through the edges. Quite an undertaking! In the end, however, it turned out really well and quite pretty. (It's a little girly for my tastes though, lol.) Below are two images of it. In the first, I didn't have enough room to lay it out completely, so I folded it in the middle to show the overall pattern. Just imagine that when it's unfolded, the length is just over twice the width. And the second picture is a detail of one of the corners to give you a better view of the pattern itself.




I packed the blanket yesterday in a big box (the blanket itself weighed about two and a half pounds!) and walked to the post office with it to mail it to her. It wasn't heavy to carry, just bulky! She should get it Tuesday because Monday there's no post (Columbus Day). I think she'll really like it. :)


On an unrelated note, I was having a conversation via text messages with my younger sister Sarah about something I'd seen in the news about her former state of residence when the conversation wandered off to cookies. Somehow, the idea of crocheting a cookie came up, and after she went to bed, I grabbed some yarn and started playing around. Using a design I'm really familiar with, I just changed it up a little and then added lots of French knots as chocolate chips. The result of the experiment is this:



It looks burnt, but that's because the only shade of brown that I currently have is "coffee." Black coffee, I might add, lol. But for a first attempt, I'd say it turned out really well. I'll have to try again when I get some different shades of brown. Maybe I'll come up with sugar cookies with frosting and sprinkles next, lol. Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

No comments: