19 August 2008

Indescribable feeling

It's odd, but part of me just can't believe that I've actually put items up for sale on-line.  In the past, I always kind of thought about doing something like this--selling my crafts or other works on-line as a way of supporting my hobby addictions--but I never really put much effort into actually getting to this point.  Now that I've actually put several items up (I'm up to nine at this point; I still have a pillowcase to finish by sewing buttons on), it's kind of unbelievable.  I'm not really sure what I'm feeling: anxiety, excitement, exhaustion...  Lots of words with the letter x in them, I guess, hehe.  (Maybe it's from watching the X-files on DVD while crocheting all the time!)  Whatever I feel, I think it'll die down once I get used to the idea that my on-line venture is finally started.

So far today, I've sewn the elastic and/or ribbons and buttons into two hats, and I've sewn buttons on one of the pillowcases as well.  I hate sewing zippers in, so I've worked out a way to use buttons instead, depending upon the pattern.  The same pillowcase I sewed buttons to, I finished crocheting its border on this morning.  I've spent most of my day on-line, actually.  Since this morning was my first launch of items on Etsy, most of my time has been spent uploading images and writing descriptions rather than crocheting or sewing.  I'd really rather be crocheting than playing around cropping images and trying to come up with something interesting to say in the item descriptions, but the time spent at the computer is a necessary evil.

I also spent the better part of the morning browsing what other people had for sale on Etsy.  My sister told me that a good way of getting favorable feedback on the site is simply to buy things from other merchants.  Most people apparently don't pay attention to the difference between buyer feedback and seller feedback, so it all just gets lumped together as feedback.  I figured there was probably a lot of really neat stuff on there anyway because I know that crafters tend to be very creative people, and you can buy supplies there as well.  Since I'm planning on starting to make dream catchers again, I figured I'd look for beads and notions to use on the dream catchers.  Needless to say, I found a lot of neat stuff!  I probably spent about thirty dollars on beads and bangles and the like, mostly just because of shipping fees.  So for the next week or two, I should be expecting a lot of little packages of beads and charms and such.  I just need to get out all my other supplies for dream catchers, get it organized so that construction is easier, and then get cracking.  I just did a search on Etsy, and there already some dream catchers for sale, so the sooner I get to making them, the sooner there are some of mine up for sale!  :)

At any rate, the mosquitos are out in force, and while I prefer to spend my time on the front porch in the open air and sunshine, I don't like mosquitos (though they are very, very, very fond of me).  I guess I'll retire to the messy living room and try to clean up my yarn mess so I'll have room for my dream catcher mess.  Have a great evening!

No comments: